When I heard Netflix and Dream Works was rebooting Voltron, the first television show I can remember watching and my first online fandom, I was skeptical. When I saw the trailer a few months ago, I literally facepalmed. It looked awful, so I resolved not to watch it. But a positive review on The Mary Sue made me give the pilot a try, and to my utter astonishment, I enjoyed it. So I watched the rest. It was good, you guys!! It pays respects to its predecessors (well, Go-Lion and its English adaptation, not the two later series) then leaps into the 21st century.
Some non-spoilery highlights:
- Allura has brown skin (though blue eyes and white hair - she was definitely inspired by Kida from Disney's Atlantis movie) and is a BOSS, while still being quite feminine. (She's also voiced by a woman of color.)
- Bechdel Test pass!
- Shiro (formerly Sven, formerly Shirogane) is Asian again. And he has the kind of backstory I love, but more about that under the cut.
- No obvious romance. (Not that there's anything wrong with it. I love me my ships. But it's a nice change.)
- Pidge...! I finally love Pidge.
- Hunk gets to do lots of smart, awesome things!
- Zarkon is actually pretty tough, and his underlings occasionally show signs of intelligence.
All the spoilers: ( Read more... )
That wasn't a review so much as a series of spoilers, but I'm almost too tired to form a coherent thought right now. I did a big hike Friday, didn't sleep well afterward, or last night either, so I'm feeling kind of bleh. I was going to go for a bike ride, but I don't think that's going to happen. Anyway, it's almost 90 degrees.
Anyway, I liked the show a lot. It's only 11 episodes, and I really do hope there's a second season since we're left with a lot of unanswered questions.